The best employment lawyers in Los Angeles exist to advice employees in the state as well as federal laws that have been violated.
These lawyers work to ensure that employees get treated fairly at all times and that employers remain in compliance with set out rules governing the workplace. Employment lawyers can be such a big help since they can come up with draft laws on wage laws and rights, as well as employee handbooks. They can also represent employers in the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) as well as provide insights on whether an employee’s rights have been violated
Employment lawyers can handle issues such as:
- Discrimination in the workplace
- Unfair and wrongful termination
- Sexual harassment
- Whistleblower protection
- Contract violations
Employers have been found guilty in the past of carrying out illegal actions against employees. This is prevalent even today as employers seek to exercise their power haphazardly over their employees. If you feel hard done by as an employee you should consider getting yourself an employment attorney.
The following are situations where you can get yourself an attorney:
- Cases where as an employee, you have been harassed, retaliated against or discriminated in whatever basis
- In case of termination or dismissal on illegal grounds
- You are being forced to sign to an agreement that waiver rights you are entitled to
- Your employer is not offering benefits that you are entitled to on your employment contract
- The employer has violated state or federal laws made for protecting employees
Attributes to Look Out for in an Employment Lawyer
There are a lot of cases involving employment law, and you have to make sure that the employment lawyer you are hiring is familiar with your case. This is why it is essential that you hire an employment lawyer that is highly experienced. Another thing to look out for in an employment lawyer is how knowledgeable the lawyer is, and the skill level of the lawyer. Make sure that the lawyer is current about the federal laws that guide employment and labor in your region. Laws and regulations like Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and Americans with Disability Act (ADA) among many others, must be well understood by a good employment lawyer. Once you are very sure of all this, you can go ahead to hire the lawyer.
Questions to Ask an Employment Lawyer
There are vital questions that you should ask employment lawyers before you choose to hire one. It is advisable that you meet with various lawyers, and by the way they answer the questions, you will know the right one to choose from. Some of the important questions to be asked include:
- What number of cases the lawyer has tried in the court, and the number of case that was settled outside the court?
- What number of employment cases similar to yours has the lawyer handled before?
- How does the lawyer stay updated about the new laws that govern employment and labor?
Is the lawyer going to personally handle the case, or give it to other associates in the firm?
How Much They Cost?
Employment lawyers vary considerably depending on a variety of factors related to the lawyer’s acumen and the fine details of their case.
Attorneys usually charge contingency fees and this involves charging the clients only out of the proceeds of the court action.
If you are an employee who feels hard done by an employer then you should seek counsel with an employment lawyer. Some of the best employment lawyers in Los Angeles will be invaluable as you seek recourse.